Project Manager
Karlsson, KristerProject manager
City of MölndalAmount granted
100 000 SEKYear
2012
On behalf of the merchant John Hall, Gothenburg city architect Carl Wilhelm Carlberg designed Gunnebo Castle, its interiors and furniture as well as the surrounding buildings and large parts of the garden between 1782 and 1784. Construction was not completed until 1796, when the Hall family moved into their expensive summer residence, which was called the most magnificent small wooden castle in the kingdom at the time. More than 200 of Carlberg's drawings of Gunnebo have been preserved and are owned by the Röhsska Museum in Gothenburg. The drawings are an invaluable source of knowledge about Gunnebo's original appearance and have been used to guide a number of reconstructions from 1950 onwards. Gunnebo Castle was emptied of its original furniture in 1828, but much of the original furniture has been reacquired through purchases and donations. With contributions from the Torsten and Ragnar Söderberg Foundations, a fund was established in 2005 for the purchase of original furniture or relevant objects related to Gunnebo, the Hall family or architect Carlberg. In the summer of 2011, five heavily restored chairs that once stood in Gunnebo's dining room were purchased. There were already four other original chairs of the same model. Gunnebo now wishes to restore these nine chairs and reupholster them in a black horsehair fabric, in accordance with the information provided by Christina Hall in the preserved inventory lists.